Tuesday 27 January 2009

I'm in Seoul for a year, teaching English to young children. I'll be updating through a number of venues from Blogger to Facebook and (irregular) emails. If this is redundant, I apologize. It is only offered to keep you better informed.

I get about a half dozen channels that have fairly consistant, predominantly English programming on my television. That's about 6 more than I was expecting. One is CNN, another two are sports, leaving two or three movie channels and one station of varied programs, some familiar, some not so much.
I know this because I spent most of my first weekend in my room, getting over (hopefully the end of) this nagging congestion resting, reading, without a phone, without the internet, surfing foreign tv stations for something I could understand.
I'm working in a private school where the eldest students are relatively young, perhaps the eldest still younger than my neice. Evidently K12 is not the grade span, rather it's an indication of Kindergarden to 12 years of age or some such, but nevertheless I'm teaching young impressionable minds all the same.
The new school year does not begin for almost two months yet. The present classes are winter intensive courses. Many of my classes are exceedingly sparse, with one to three students for two hours at a time or more. It's not yet trying or at all difficult work, though I'm told the challenges come. I'm enjoying getting to know the students and deciphering our relative means of communicating. So far so good.
The teachers here have been helpful and accomodating considering this is brand new territory twice over having neither been to Korea before, nor taught anyone much of anything except for exercises and stretches (formally if otherwise).
I went out on Friday with a few of the teachers and had a nice dinner, and saw a bit of the town, most noteably the expat territory of Ichon where we found a Canadian Bar and an American Bar, two little nooks of my respective homes thus far.
I'm determined to save much of what comes in, so I'm not sure what I'll have to write that will deviate from the basic skeletal framework of what this week will be, at least until the weather warms and warrants more comfortable free time outside, but I'll try to find what interesting tidbits I can in this new window of life and send them here, to you, to peer through. Pictures will have to wait until I find a place where my own computer can get online.
All things considered, this feels like the right move to have made. I'm looking forward to a gym membership and/or tae kwon do lessons as my first discressionary expenditure(s).

As this is an old post on this new venue, I'll be updating the new soon.

- Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment