Monday 9 February 2009

Define "Random"...

So this is my response to the thing flying around Facebook about random facts and whatnot. I'm not tagging anyone in it because I try and stay away from that stuff, however I'll humor those who've tagged me thus far and any after can find my response right here where I'll leave it.

i. I have two predominant preoccupying thoughts at any given time and they are in constant conflict. The first is that I will always be bound by certain ideals, the second is that I'll become bound in breaking them.

ii. I think the above conflict is why I'm not as smiley as I once was.

iii. I like music more than most people would think.

iv. I don't go to many concerts because I think they often promote an unhealthy atmosphere for the artist and the fans.

v. I think the above (iv) is because I think all music is worship, and as such is directing praise towards someone or something.

vi. Consequently the songs I like are those that direct my thoughts to subjects greater than myself, such as love, God, or relatable truth [in story telling]. The exceptions often have great lines that I can isolate and direct in such a manner.

vii. I believe in cause and effect and choice and consequence.

viii. I think assessments can only be properly made at the end of something. Hence I'm still struggling through "Absalom, Absalom!" and could end up praising it once I'm finished reading.

ix. I believe that words are as much a part of a person as Jesus is a part of God.

x. I think there is a separation that takes place in art (be it writing, acting, music, dance, visual or any other I'm missing) that permits relative exploration and a cathartic release of the human experiences we can conceive of but would never commit.

xi. Thus, you'll know far more of the depths of a person (me) in reading what s/he (I) creates.

xii. I think the desire to create is part of the fingerprint of God placed upon the pinnacle of creation, which I believe human beings are. All of them.

xiii. I think the other part of God's fingerprint on our lives is the will.

xiv. I would like to be more disciplined than I am.

xv. I'm not a fan of "religion"; I'm a big fan of faith and belief... and that specifically focused to a particular end... namely God.

xvi. I would like to be less argumentative.

xvii. I enjoy knowing more than learning.

xviii. I've never anticipated living a long natural life.

xix. I prefer immortality to celebrity, wealth to riches, and peace to power, but I think celebrity, riches and power would assist in achieving the others.

xx. I'm a romantic stuck somewhere in between hopeful and hopeless.

xxi. I abolished taste of food for other tastes. I think of food as calorie consumption and don't get nearly as excited as what I'm going to eat as who I'm eating with. I believe this to be the natural maturity of a picky eater who wishes to be polite: eat what you're offered, clean your plate, and don't complain.

xxii. I prefer Roman numerals when listing. I don't know why.

xxiii. My goal is to cultivate an attitude of grace in relationships. I think I've been far too judgmental in my past.

xxiv. Obviously, I feel that thoughts are facts too... if not the only facts that I can commit to share with a few exceptions, and unlike many streams of consciousness exercises, mine tend to run linear. I'm not sure if that's a facade, an anomaly, or my not being as in touch with myself as I should be.

xxv. I told you so. I can't be content with rushed work, whereas I prefer to complete things quickly, albeit well, so hopefully this will suffice.

- Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment