Monday 25 May 2009

Nuclear Tests, Swine Flu, Immunity, and Teaching Metaphor to Children

I just heard that North Korea has been performing underground nuclear tests and that most of the world is not all that happy about it. Perhaps I should watch the news more, but I doubt it. Anyways, Obama's miffed, South Korea's a little perturbed, and I'm sure other countries care to some degree, they're just not mentioned on the MSN homepage hotmail sends me to when I logout.

Still, at the school, the nuclear tests haven't been raising as much concern as the swine flu epidemic. Evidently a few foreigners have brought a resurgence of the dreaded disease into the city not a few massive blocks from where I teach, and since foreigners do nothing but fornicate and languish in each others' sordid, endemic, parasitic hovels or the equally infested hangout hotbeds of diseases frequented in our spare time, we've become greater pariahs of late. So until further notice we're being subjected to daily temperature checks, have been issued filtered face masks, and it's been recommended to us that when we're not at school we confine ourselves to our apartments. The jokes on them though, I've pretty much been doing that anyway.

It not all bad, however; I've been working on a new story idea and this little hysteria has played directly into inspirational material for the plot. The working title is "Immunity". I'll let you ponder the rest for now. At least until I get a little further along and post it on my writing blog:

http://fosterink.blogspot.com/ (I'm trying to work more [shameless] plugs in.)

Stuff in the classroom seems to progressing relatively well; by that I mean I'm still working and haven't been fired yet. I've been teaching poetry to third graders for a few classes now... as though poetry isn't hard enough to get in one's native language. Still, I feel like I'm making headway. The word for the day was Metaphor. Since we've already covered imagery, simile, personification, alliteration and rhyme scheme, I figured it was time. One of their worksheets had a list of words that the two kids had to create metaphors for. The first was "star".

"So, I can write, 'sparkling flower'?"

I'd never heard of a sparkling flower so I thought about it for a second. It was a second that ignited a whole conceit! If a star is a sparkling flower, then space can be the garden in which it grows, the milky way the water nourishing it and the other plan(e)ts in the garden's midst. The possibilities were endless. I got excited and tried to share this with the blank faces looking back at me and finally decided that, yes, a sparkling flower would do fine. My writing on the matter is far from over.

From the mouth of babes...


- Foster

4 comments:

  1. I actually really like that metephor. Like you, if I were a teacher, (I'm a Mom, so I guess I'm kinda one) I would have done the same thing. I actually have on occasion with my eldest child, him saying something and me going off making what little thing he said into this grand story that far exceeded his thoughts and in looking back at him, he was staring at me, dumbfounded and lost. Which means I should spend more time with my computer writing my thoughts instead of having them spew from my mouth like a gyser at my children...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the understanding children provide the simplest things with their innocence. I think sometimes adults try too hard.

    If the Earth itself is a garden of sorts were life flourishes, why not space? Life is growth.
    I think whenever I see stars now the phrase "sparkling flower" will remain with me. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  3. HD, In all fairness, I do think that it's far better to spew wisdom at children and then write it down for the rest of us.

    Indigo, I wholly agree; I appreciate your appreciation too.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    - Foster

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the mouths of babes the purest wisdom springs eternal.

    ReplyDelete