Tuesday 3 March 2009

My Artistic Creed... a work in progress

Given my recent private writer's strike, I felt the need to get some ideas down for why I'm driven to [write]. Feel free to comment, collaborate, or criticize.This list is by no means complete and will certainly undergo changes... but hopefully not retractions. Time will tell.


1. I feel like a person knows me better if they know, and understand, what I create, be it visual, auditory, or tactile.

2. I create with intent and purpose to relate something to someone.

3. I feel comfortable while creating, at home in a chair, on a stage, or otherwise in front of the medium I'm using to illustrate an idea.

4. I look for a story in an image, feeling like the picture is incomplete unless I can relate to it in some way.

5. I have a plethora of pictures, words, and actions I associate with specific people, places, and things.

6. I am concerned by the reception of my ideas, not enough to change them should they be rejected, but enough to argue passionately their legitimacy, and in failing to reach an understanding or otherwise peaceful resolve, enough to severe certain ties with people on their account.

7. I believe that creation characterizes more than action, and action characterizes more than being.

8. I believe that being dictates action and action, in turn, creation.

9. I believe that an intended creation completed is the end of an inanimate thing and its interpretation is the beginning of another thing entirely and wholly expressive of the interpreter.

10. I believe that creation is ongoing and that people change and so creations too will differ in intent and meaning.

11. The compilation of a body of work is not as telling as an individual work that expresses clear ideas.

12. Differences in creative expressions are not hypocrisy, but evidence change, growth, exploration, or instances of diversion from a norm.

13. Intention is not relative, irregardless of its being known; interpretation is.


... ... ... to be continued?

2 comments:

  1. "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s"

    What does this mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would venture to say the things of God are not temporal, so don't covet temporal treasures as though they were. If the government requires you to pay taxes, pay them. You're not forwarding God's work by inciting rebellion against the powers that be until those powers deign to infringe upon that which belongs to God (like worship). Sorry for the delay. Those are just my thoughts off the cuff at present. The verse is in regard to paying taxes, and was a response to religious leaders trying to trap Jesus in some manner.

    ReplyDelete