Wednesday 18 March 2009

Teaching teachers to teach teachers to teach would be a good thing.

Schools are high stress environments. I personally never would have guessed, and would be blissfully immune if stress were not one of the most contagious infirmities on the face of the earth.
I have no complaints. My schedule suits me (working 1-9pm), I have a gym to go to, I have food, shelter and a limited array of suitable clothing (still, I've more than I anticipated due to the lax dress codes at work, another plus in my opinion) and I have found a nice church to attend on Sundays. Quite the workings of a quaint quiet little life which would pass a peaceful year if people could only stop stressing over the insignificant irksome idiosyncrasies that abound in life.
My thoughts tend to wax and wane on philosophic problems. I like to take the rabbit trails that I find in thinking to see where they lead. I don't particularly know what curriculum would best suit students who are in a listening class where they refuse to listen because they can't understand the language they are listening to and as a result spend two hours in conversation with each other in a language I cannot understand. I only know what my students can express in their translated thoughts, and what my limited experience can discern from the situation: namely that the material is too hard. However, since they have been ushered through the previous books in a system more concerned with progression than understanding, or with reaching the end however incomplete the course, with the completion of a book rather than the comprehension of a chapter, it now seems I'm stuck transcribing and dictating answers to students of copying and printing.
There are other stressors, many concocted out of gossip and others that exist from the sheer fact that few of the teachers are formal teachers, but are, like me, willing to learn to teach if there could be found those willing to teach we willing to teach teachers.
This is obviously a microcosm of a much bigger problem. One might even call it a philosophical problem. It's just not one of the ones I've devoted much thought to until now, so I'll have to get back to you with those.
In the meantime I'm doing my best to enjoy the simple pleasures of black tea, peanut butter, 24 hour gym access, and all my needs being met.

- Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment